Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Is it Thursday Yet?


It's one of those days. It actually started yesterday when I went to pick up Brannon from pre-school. Brannon for the first time, asked to wear underwear instead of a diaper. This is my 3 year and 8 month old child who has refused to potty train. I was so excited because he can pee in the potty but WILL NOT poop in it. So, he really wanted to wear underwear to school and so I thought that was the motivation he needed to poop in the potty. I dropped him off at school and the teacher made a big deal out of him in underwear. Something that you need to know is Bran is a hider pooper. He prefers to go hide when he poops. When I picked him up yesterday, the teacher had told me that he peed in the potty fine but she was determined to not let him out of her sight. If he can't hide, he won't poop. I pick him up at 1pm. At 12:40 they were on the playground and a little boy fell down. When she helped the little boy up, she then quickly tried to locate Brannon. Sure enough, he seized on the opportunity to go into the tunnel slide, and poop his underwear!!! So, when I arrive at 1, they had just finished cleaning him up. I was so disheartened. Attempting to potty train Brannon has been a lot of work and frustration. He has never had the desire to do it and has fought it every step of the way. I finally thought we had broken a barrier, but obviously not. So as I am loading him and Tierney, who I had with me, back in the car, my cell rings. Wesley's school is calling to tell me he is sick and has a 102 fever. Wonderful.
As soon as I get Wes home, he throws up. Luckily he got MOST of it in the toilet. I get Bran and Tierney down for their naps, get the remaining vomit cleaned up, attend to Wes then clean myself up.
Did I mention Ben is out of town????
I finish off the day just trying to cope: Wes had thrown up one more time, the fever kept coming back, had to attempt to keep the other 2 away from him in a very small apartment, while trying to fulfill all my other mommy duties for the evening. I finally go to bed last night completely exhausted. I didn't get much sleep though because Macy decided last night would be a good night to attempt to sleep on my head or when that failed, play with my hair. I got up at 1am- Wes' fever was back so I woke him up and dosed him with Tylenol. He then woke at 5am whining, fever was back, I drugged him again and climbed back into bed praying to all that was Holy that I would get some sleep. No luck.
Wes comes in my room at 6:30 because he says he can't swallow. I get out a flash light, and when I looked down his throat I was not shocked to see that it was huge and red with white pockets on it. I no sooner get him in my bed, when I hear Tierney in her room talking. What the hell? It's 6:30. She's ALWAYS good until at least 8:30 if we don't wake her before that. I tried to put the pillow over my head but she kept talking. Now she has woken up Brannon who is in my room telling me that Tierney's room smells. I go into Tierney's room to see what is wrong, open the door, and I was almost knocked dead by the smell that assaulted my nostrils. Then, I was greeted by the artistic abilities of my daughter, who had taken off her diaper and attempted some sort of art with her own poop. It was all over her crib, and her body and her walls. I wanted to run, far far away......
One hour later, the crib materials are in the wash, the crib and Tierney both have been disinfected, and I was silently cursing Ben for having the good sense to leave me when all hell was about to break loose.
The rest of the day continued down that path. Here's the summary... all 3 kids fighting while I was in the shower to take Wes to the Dr, Brannon threw a book at my head while I was driving them to the Dr, long wait at the Dr where Brannon knocked over a small table that had books and pamphlets all over it, Wesley has Strep throat, Dr checks 2 other kids for good measure and both of them have the beginnings of strep, antibiotics for all 3, long wait at Target pharmacy for drugs, while waiting we are shopping and Tierney grabs glass on shelf while I am getting bread and drops it and it breaks everywhere, Brannon threw a temper tantrum because I wouldn't buy Lightening McQueen band-aids (we already have some), Tierney then joins in screaming because a) she always cries acappella when someone else cries and b) waking up at 6:30 has finally caught up with her and she is tired and hungry (it's now 1:00), I drive home and there are no parking spots near my apartment so I have to park far away and haul 3 kids and groceries into apartment, while giving them some lunch Brannon drops his soup on the floor- I have to clean up.....
Ben is still gone. It's 4pm, little ones will be waking up any second and I have to get through the rest of this day.
God help me.

5 comments:

Cara said...

Remember the commercials "Calgon take me away", girlfriend you need a break! I hope it gets better for you. I have had on of those weeks. One get stitches in the chin, 3 days later the other has croup. How many ER visit till you get one free?

Anonymous said...

Oh, K. I'm so sorry all hell broke loose. Sounds like you are just loving the apartment living. When is the house finished?

Anonymous said...

Kara, I'm so sorry! Jack was a hider-pooper too, just like Brannon. He'd pee on the potty but wouldn't poop. Instead he'd ask for a diaper everytime he had to go, until this past March when I told him on our way to Little Rock, AR ~ no diapers anymore in our new house! (He really didn't need them.) The first 2 weeks were filled with tears and begging for diapers, but after that we've been fine. I hope your diaper days are over soon with Brannon! Does Tierney ask to sit on the potty yet? Makena does often but so far no tinkles.

Kim McCaslin Schlieker said...

Oh girl, do I ever feel your pain on the potty issue!!! You know I do!!! What a day from HELL. Randy travels next week, I hope I don't have a blog like that!!

Erin Martinez said...

I'm so sorry! I can't even imagine. I felt bad for myself for the last few days juggling this toddler and newborn but it has not as of yet involved vomit or poop art, thank God!