Friday, March 6, 2009

My little Hawaiian

Wes had to do a culture project for school. Normally I dread school projects. I am the least crafty person I know! For this project he had to dress his doll exemplifying a culture of his choice. He had to explain a cultural tradition they do in a presentation. We did the Polynesian culture since he was born in Hawaii. I needed some ideas from my crafty friends to get me started.... I was shocked how many little trinkets and things you can find in Michaels! I think I need go to back there soon and bond and be one with with the craft. Deep breathing exercises weren't even necessary! I really enjoyed spending time with Wes teaching him about a place he has very little memory of. We watched videos on fire dancing (his cultural tradition in his presentation.) We learned about the Polynesian islands, how the people settled Hawaii and so on. It was priceless though when he asked me if his skin was that brown when he lived there! (Yes but he wasn't born that way like he thought! I know there are certain people reading this who will remember him chasing the garbage truck down the street with his naked bottom reflecting a lot of light! Ohhh those tan lines!) I miss Hawaii so much! Living there was always a catch 22 but I am so thankful that God provided us that opportunity. Watch out Erin- we can't wait till you back get there! I actually had a dream that Ben got back in the Marine Corps and we moved out there again. I don't know that Oahu is big enough for Brannon!
*this doll is dedicated to my crafty girls: mom, jill, erin m, and brandy! xoxo

2 comments:

Kim McCaslin Schlieker said...

Girl when you update you go big with CLOVERS!!! I'll have to get the scoop on the ankle, doesn't sound very fun!!

kathydlv said...

Kara, the doll looks great! It reminds me of a little blond surfer-toddler running like the wind in his flip-flops!