Sunday, March 8, 2009

Spring Seven

To Me, one of the best things about spring, is sitting outside in the afternoon, under the warm sun, and escaping in a good book. (Glass of wine, mojito or margarita are optional.) My problem is, I don't have any books on my wish list. I need some recommendations! I love historical fiction, political thrillers and Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors. So, I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine. I will post my top 7 favorite books, to help guide you in your quest for the perfect hammock companion, and I ask that you post yours (doesn't have to be 7) in the comments section (and you have it easy as you don't have to find picture links!) (Let's leave off books like Harry Potter, which everyone has read and Da Vinci code, which is good but only read it if you can understand that it is COMPLETE FICTION.)

#1: Katherine by Anya Seton

This book is probably my absolute favorite ever. Talk about escape! This is the love story of Katherine Swynford and John of Gaunt, true to the extent we know it. It takes place in 14th century England and when this story ended I cried, I didn't want to let her go. Another book I just read by this same author that's also truly amazing is The Winthrop Women.


#2: Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

If you ever have any interaction with children, this is a must read. Jodi is an amazing author. Her character development is astounding. In this book, she takes you into the mind of teenagers, their world and a school shooting. By the end, you don't know if you are on the side of the shooter or the victim.




#3. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

This book is being made into a movie, and I think it's coming out this spring or summer. Read the book first!! As we all know, the movie never does a book justice and I can't imagine the movie will invoke the same feelings the book does. If you have a sister, read this book. If you don't, read it anyway!!



#4. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

This is historical creepy fiction. This book will keep you up all night, one because you can't put it down and two because you will be a little to creeped out to lay there in the dark. The story centers around 2 people traveling across Europe chasing the legend of Dracula. No synopsis I could give will do it justice, so just read it. This is vampires for grown-ups for sure!


#5. A Rose for the Crown by Anne Easter Smith

This is another great historical fiction story, centered on King Richard III, and will challenge anything you've heard or learned in history class! There is another book by the author, dealing with this same family that I also recommend: Daughter of York.




#6. Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn

This is the first in a series of 9 books (and counting) involving Mitch Rapp, a CIA agent. It is most definitely the best political thriller out there (and I've read A LOT of them!) This book will have you rooting for your country, and the men who fight for it. It's also another, "stay up all night because you can't put it down" book.



#7. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

I saved the best for last. Ahhhh, words cannot describe Jamie. This is the first in a series also, and it straddles (no pun intended) genre: historical fiction and romance. In Outlander a 20th century woman crosses through a "stone circle" in England at the precise moment and is transported back to the 18th century, where she meets Jamie, the Scottish love of her life. These books are very intelligent in medicine, history, psychology and pure escapist romance. The 6th one is supposed to come out this year. And those of us in the Jamie cult are eagerly awaiting it. Become a member of this sorority and we'll share the secret handshake!!!

4 comments:

kathydlv said...

I would like to have "My Sister's Keeper" for my vacation. I'll have to look for it. I wonder if it is in paperback.

Mapes said...

This is a pretty incredible list! Particularly love The Historian (what a thriller!!) and, of course, The Outlander Series has completely turned my world upside down! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!

I will send my recommendations after Spring Break when I've met with my "council"! :)

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

I love that you put Outlander last. I still think Ben's mad for unleashing Jamie on you. I finally met the first person who didn't love it: my mother! She thought there were too many characters to keep up with - which cracked me UP. And, you know how I love Katherine & The Historian. Did you ever start the Twilights? Terrible writing but wonderful story. And, my lastest love? Oddly one recommended by Stephenie Meyer called The Hunger Games. It's got that Historian keep you up and freak out aspect.

Rachel said...

The outlander series is my favorite series, ever.

I just re-read them for the 4th time and I love them!!
The blog header looks fabulous!